What it's like to have strangers at home
After quickly moving out of our first Brisbane apartment after discovering an insane mold infestation beneath the bathroom sink, we found a stunning home in Spring Hill. With TWO bedrooms. Now we had the perfect place to host our parents when they visited, as well and strangers through AirBnB.
Before moving to Australia, I'd only ever used AirBnB as a guest. I've stayed in a Miami mansion on a lake owned by a French family, a private apartment with a huge terrace perfect for viewing the Tenerife sky in the Canary Islands and even a place in Brisbane with a really helpful host.
Hosting strangers in our house definitely has pros and cons, but in the end we really enjoy it and it's been a great experience!
- Meeting people from all over the world. So far we've hosted over 14 people who come from Brazil, New Zealand, USA, Australia, UK, Saudi Arabia, Korea, Canada, Taiwan, Sweden, Germany, France and more.
- Having great conversations, often over a meal or simply a bottle of wine.
- Giving David extra practice speaking in English!
- Working to make each person's stay as pleasant as possible. I think David and I make a pretty good welcoming committee.
- Hearing about others' travels around Australia and abroad (aka planning upcoming trips!)
- Really trusting people, and having people trust us. It may be 2017, but trust is still possible.
Ok, AirBnB isn't a perfect little world. Here is my list of CONS, aka things that really annoy me.
- SCREAM SKYPING. Why do you feel the need to scream when you Skype?
- Hair. Everywhere.
- People who hide in their room. Boring.
My favorite guest: Our very first guest was a super chill guy from the UK but living in New Zealand who introduced us to minimalism, had some excellent chats and ran out to get a bottle of wine for our pizza night.
My least favorite guest: I'm not naming names or saying the country, but DUDE. SHUT UP. CALM DOWN. That and the people who are spoiled and expect us to clean up their messes. I ain't yo mama.
To check out our AirBnB listing CLICK HERE. If you are ever in Brisbane, come stay with us!
is an American educator, creator and wellness influencer who has been living the abroad life since 2009! She is bird obsessed, always a travel jinx and pays the bills by teaching English. Learn how to get abroad and live your best life once you're there!